And all because we’re feeling the love
Ahead of their debut EP on Paper, Norway’s De Fantastiske To have done us a mix to get our juices flowing.
Say hello to them on Facebook
De fantastiske to – Intro
Underground Resistance – 303 Sunset (Underground resistance)
Leon Sweet – GTTR (PAPER)
MCDE – Raw Cuts (Marcellus Pitman rmx) (MCDE recordings)
Quarion – Sunday Night (Drumpoet Community)
Haugli – I’ll Be Eple (Edit)
Groovers – Make me feel (Razor n tape)
Havana Cultura Bande – Orisa (Atjazz Lovesoul rmx)
Osunlade – Mommas Groove (Yoruba music)
Egyptian Nipples – LA melody (Session Victim rmx) (Apersonal mix)
Flash Atkins & 2 Billion beats – WILCO (PAPER)
De fantastiske to – Gimme sum dim sum (Paper)
Ralph Myerz & The kosmik diamondz – Hello space (feat. Kimchi & Superspaceproject (PAPER)
Erdbeerschnitzel – With level hopes (Delsin Holland)
De fantastiske to – Holder det ekte (Paper)
Ralph Myerz – Hello Space Video – awesome
Paper Recordings – 20 Years in the Mix
We kicked off Paper in 1994 with PAP001 Salt City Orchestra’s The Book and are now up to PAPDLS175. In the meantime there have been sub labels (Repap / We Are Woodville / Def Drive / Paper Disco), club nights (Robodisco / Paper parties / Trash The ….) foreign tours (New Zealand / Japan / Portugal, Australia), lifelong friendships forged, marriages, deaths and births. During all that, except for a break from 2003 – 2009 when we went away and re-grouped we’ve been putting out music that we love the whole time.
Dance music has changed massively from those early naive wide-eyed DIY days when everything was “house” or “techno” in to the global phenomenon it is today with hundreds of splintered sub-genres. When we started we were the new thing and hip in places we had barely even heard of but now are inevitably part of the establishment and a long way from the cutting edge. But with a new generation of artists we are hopefully still releasing relevant quality dance music with the recognizable Paper sound.
On doing the mix I chose to cover only the singles and do so in chronological order by year (which can be followed in the comments). This means that some mixes are more successful than others (!) but gives a taste of how Paper has developed. There are some glaring omissions of tracks and artists that were hugely important to the label (Problem Kids / Pa Pa Washington Trio / Reset) but with 39 hours and 53 minutes of music to choose from it’s inevitable that some favourite moments were missed. Maybe I’ll try and get them on the 25 years anniversary mix!
Anyway, we’re very proud of what Paper has done and will continue doing what we do so thanks for helping us along!
The whole Paper catalogue is available digitally on all good online stores.
Here it is on Juno
A recent article and interview with The Ransom Note on our 20th Birthday.
1. Salt City Orchestra – The Book (Epilogue Reprise)
2. Paper Music Issue One – Downtime
3. Dirty Jesus – Cut The Rug (Da Floor Mix)
4. Those Norwegian – Hurdy Gurdy
5. Crazy Penis – Summer Bummer
6. Essa – 2 With A Star (Road To Damascus Mix)
7. Dirty Jesus – Don’t Fuck With My Shit
8. Streetlife Original – Lara’s Theme
9. Kenny Hawkes – Sleaze Walking
10. Stryker – Can’t Stop
11. Head Nodding Society – Nudge Up
12. Crazy Penis – Do It Good (Tom Middleton’s Cosmos Mix)
13. Harlem Zip Code – I Feel Music
14. DJ Tvyks & Håkan Lidbo- Version 1
15. Keyboy – Viva Blue (Ralph Myerz 5am Eternal Mix)
16. Daco – Aquarium
17. Flash Atkins – Make Your Move (Atjazz Mix)
18. 2 Billion Beats – The Moodymann
19. Research – Day By Day (Psychemagik Mix)
20. Neil Diablo – Let’s Get It On
21. Flash Atkins – Freak Club
22. Richard Seaborne – I Know You Love Me
23. 2 Billion Beats – Noise In Your Eye
24. Leon Sweet – Show You (Dean ‘Sunshine’ Smith Mix)
25. Kit Tacchini – New York Steak Of Mind
26. Joe Morris – Always
27. Ralph Myerz & The Kosmik Diamondz – Lett Sommarmat
Paper Recordings has built up a formidable back catalogue over its twenty years and often steered wide of the house blueprint. So here is the first compilation of a series called “Sunday Paper Vol.1” (see what we did there) of it’s more Balearic and leftfield output.
There are stone cold classics from the early days that include Hot Toddy’s sun drenched Sometime Last Night and Rune Lindbæk / Torbjørn Brundtland’s (Röyksopp) Those Norwegians psychedelic disco Dom B. Sensi. Missed nuggets like Daco’s blissed out Play My Mind and Problem Kids’ Take A Small Break up to new kids on the block like Proviant Audio’s Drifting and Jamie L’s sample lowbeat Something Better (which was a Mr Scruff favourite) as well as other sun drenched favourites.
There are also re-masters of Future Rhythm Foundation’s tripped out Soul Dredging, Truant’s Song of a City (featuring one of Crazy P’s Danielle Moore’s first ever vocals) and Crazy P’s ever green Summer Bummer.
Overall its a timeless compilation that will keep hipster bearded musos and your Gran equally happy come BBQ time.
1. Hot Toddy – Sometime Last Night
2. Just Harris feat. Laura Vane – 1,2 3 Breathe (Downtempo Mix)
3. Keyboy – Viva Blue (Mudd’s Width & Comfort Mix)
4. Truant feat. Danielle Moore – Song of a City
5. Proviant Audio – Drifting
6. The Bionics – Novosoho
7. Joe Morris – Sky Drops
8. The Deadstock 33s – Ascension
9. Those Norwegians – Dom B. Sensi
10. Jamie L – Something Better
11. Crazy Penis – I Am Love (Flash Atkins Rework)
12. Future Rhythm Foundation – Soul Dredging (Remaster)
13. Crazy Penis – Summer Bummer (Remaster)
14. Problem Kids – Take A Small Break (Vocal Mix)
15. Flash Atkins – Make Your Move (Ashley Beedle Mix)
Sign up to our Newsletter
Paper continues to be one of the world’s best-loved independent record labels, operating as a thriving cottage industry. We have been pushing the creative envelope since 1994. We have released over 2000 tracks created by over 500 artists, producers, and remixers in over 50 countries. Our style ranges from deep house and disco to Balearic and leftfield on its three imprints, Paper Wave, Disco and Recordings. The label has evolved to incorporate Paper Vision Films, which made the award-winning Northern Disco Lights with two films currently in production and critically acclaimed podcasts Paper Air Waves, Paper Talk, & Paper Radio.